Thursday, August 16, 2007

3,798 miles

By my odometer we went 3,798 miles from SF to DC. There is so much to say, but I will limit myself to just a few things. One: We just met with the chief staff member of Rep. Markey, who is chairman of the select committee on global warming. They listened to our ideas and looked over the petitions. I have to say Markey is totally on board with global warming legislation. The House just passed a bill as did the Senate. The bill will be in conference committee when they come back to work. The bill doesn't have everything we want, so please, please contact your representatives and insist that they increase CAFE standards (gas mileage)and they cut oil and coal subsidies in favor of subsidies for wind and solar. If you have had enough time to comment on our blog, please speak to your representatives.

Two: An anecdote from the second to last day of riding. We left Charlettsville and found ourselves in the middle of the morning commute. Our technique is to pull over as soon as it is safe. One time we did this 6 cars passed us. 2 or 3 waved. The 7th car honked and gave us his middle finger. Here we were trying to be as concientious as possible and for our troubles we get flipped the bird. The car passed us. On his rear window were 2 American flag decals. On his bumper were two stickers "Bush/Cheney." Figures, I smugly thought. But what if I were not a left coast, tofu eating pussy, but rather a macho heavy equipment operator with Rush on all my preprogrammed radio dials? Wouldn't I start to think, "Maybe Bush really is a dickhead since his supporters sure are." I mean, doesn't this guy realize he's a rolling ambassador for Bush. If he wants me to vote for Bush or people of that ilk, better he offer me a cold bottle of water at the top of the hill. Yonah's take on it is "Why don't we put a Bush/Cheney sticker on our car and act like dicks?" To which Solomon said, "Why would we want to be dicks?"

4 comments:

Barb said...

Wow, I’m sooo happy for you, Djina, Matt, Solomon and Jonah! What an accomplishment for an amazing family. I was honored to meet you yesterday!
(I really apologize for underestimating the distances and road conditions.) I worried so much about your trip into DC yesterday afternoon. The blog story of your arrival over the bridge into town was so touching. Your hearts must be so full!

I wish you more free internet, more success on the Hill and a safe and happy trip retuning home.

Leo said...

Congratulation to all of you! It is so wonderful and inspiring to hear that you have made it.

So now what am I going to do for the rest of my summer? Harry Potter is done and your blog is done. No more Waldemart, no more Beast, no more Biscuit, no more calendar boys, no more skanky motels, no more head winds...

I hope you have time to enjoy DC and take in all the wonderful sights (and sites). Once you have dropped off your petitions maybe you can visit this poor man, Congressman Patrick McHenry from North Carolina, and impress upon him that bicycling can be a solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8nozp7vs8&eurl=

We are all looking forward to seeing you back in Davis.

Anonymous said...

This will be my last comment till I hopefully see you in person in Davis.

First I want to comment on the person in the bush/cheney truck that flipped you off on your way to DC..I thought about that for some time. The neandrathal (sic) behavior of that action, and I belittle neandrathals by the comparison, is hard to explain..so I won't even try. But I am with Solomon. Why would anyone want to be a dick.

I think you guys might want to put a banner on your back saying:
Practicing Human Being, Join the Race. But that journey is over and the message is now about Our destiny. Our environment. Our planet.

The other thing I'm thinking is that maybe you are unique. Maybe this is the first time a 13 year old cycled 3798 miles across the continent..along with a nine year old bringing up the rear..and maybe your are the first family
that has ever done this. Could that be? Does anyone know?

And this brings me to my last comment. I am blown away. Totally!
Love Aunt Y.

Anonymous said...

And yes, I speak to my congressman on a weekly basis..about all sorts of things. So I will ask our guys here (who are pretty strongly environmentally friendly)that Matt
said the cafe standards need to be alot tougher...I will. Yvette