Monday, August 6, 2007

Saturday August 4th Booneville->Hindman, KY

Paul & Karen are leaving for India for 6(?) 9(?) months. Paul, you have to give me YOUR blog address so we can transfer all our readers to you. That will be great entertainment for you. You can see a sample of Paul's work on youtube under Yosemite Marching Band!!! It will be worth your while. Paul is as funny as Matt and Ken, with the added bonus of the Rainbow Shlong (due to a camp tie dye project that went awry).
So, Paul and Karen...Eliza, Sylvie, and Lupine....have fun, write! Hey, Matt's brother and his family will be in India too! I'll e-mail you with their info.

So, Booneville. (as I write this Matt is on the computer next to me reading Ken's blog thing and laughing out loud. On my other side is some lunatic local, listen to Johnny Cash on the computer and singing along and color commentating. Noisiest damn library I've ever been in).
I woke up at 6am this morning and the mist was as thick as the smoking section in one of these family diners. The split rail fence that had been just 100 yrds from our tent when we went to sleep, was totally gone in the morning when we woke up. I could barely see Matt beside me in the tent. But, I knew he was there 'cause I could smell him! At 6am it was already 70 degrees and by 7am it was about 80 degrees. I was wearing the thinnest cotton tee shirt and the thinnest cotton pajama bottoms, lying on top of my sleeping bag, sweating, and trying not to let any inch of my skin make even the slightest contact with any other inch of skin. These are not the conditions under which I have even the slightest interest in having sex. This is a fundamental difference between men and women.
The Kentucky accents have gotten so thick I can no longer understand even a word of what anyone says to me unless I ask "what...pardon me?" at least one or two times. In direct proportion to the increasingly thick accents, are the increasing number and variety of little garden tchochkys. Every yard has about 50 little statues, flamingos,virgin Marys,tipped over strollers, plastic flowers, flags, wind chimes, bird feeders, gnomes, deer, frogs, etc.
It is also an election year so there are lots of funny signs. My favorite so far is for the county Jailer. It read Dexter Miller-Your Jailer. I guess everyone here expects to spend at least a little time in the pokey...and when you do, it's good to know you have Dexter Miller on your side.
We slept at the Presbyterian church and around 7:30pm this lone rider comes in wearing Cal Berkeley cycling team togs. His name is Stephen. I know a lot about him now because we spent over 24 hours with him. He is the latest calendar boy. He rode with us the next day too and camped with us in Hindman...at the damn city park...no shower, bathroom, or water!!!!! I thought I was done with that. Matt got some water from the gas station nearby and I had a Nalgene water bottle shower. It had been a hot day with lots of hills, 88% humidity.....and I was worried about getting kicked out by the sheriff all night.
Next morning we said goodbye to Stephen, who needed to make some miles, and we headed to Elkhorn!
(now the guy next to me is watching big time wrestling and cheering on his guy "vader", telling him to "punch him in the nose".)
More later.
Love,
Djina

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

djina,
do you think matt was interested in having sex at that moment?
just wondering,
chicky

Matt Biers-Ariel said...

Yes, he was very interested. That is the thing I just don't get. Chicky, tell me honestly, do you know even ONE women who, under those conditions would think "boy it would sure be nice to have sex right now". Now ask Steve! I'm sure I'm right.
Maybe I'll do a little survey and have Sharon submit it to Nature or something.

Anonymous said...

No, the thought is revolting, and yes, if I asked Steve if he wanted a game of "hide the salami" he'd be nekked in a new york minute, on all fours, barking like a doggie!
ch.