Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hitler vs. Voldemort

Don't worry. I'm not going to spoil the book. But this is what Solomon had to say after he finished reading the Deathly Hallows. Solomon: Hitler is like Voldemort. Hitler wanted the Aryans to rule the non-Aryans, and Volemort wants the purebloods to rule the mudbloods. Hitler didn't look Aryan, and Voldemort was not a pureblood himself. They killed anyone who stood in their way.

We're only 350 miles away. We can taste it. Speaking of taste. I haven't had a beer since Ken left. You can't buy singles in stores, and you can't believe how many dry counties there are. (Of course crystal meth is a scourge in all of Kentucky and Virginia's rural areas, but that's a different story.) One of my favorite interactions happened in a bar/camping office somewhere in the Ozarks. We just scored the campsite, it was hot, and that time of day when a tasty beer would just make everything right.
Matt - I'd like a beer please
Bartend - What would you like?
Matt - What do you have?
Bartend - Everything.
Matt - Everything?
Bartend - Miller, Miller Lite, Bud, Bud Lite, Busch, Busch Lite
Matt - Oh.

If I already posted this story, sorry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hadn't posted it yet, and it's one to treasure. Could you bring yourself to drink one, or no way?
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Yes Matt,
In that universe, that is everything when it comes to beer. Be glad you live in a parallel universe with beer that also includes significant hops among other differences.

By the way, as I travel and scrounge the gravel roads of SW Oregon I find many cans and bottles which are worth 5 cents here, so of course I pick them up. And what brand is pretty much the only one I find on these unpaved roads? Busch.

Good luck to y'all on the last few miles. Darn near made it dadgumit.

aunt zizz

Anonymous said...

Ach du lieber..if you guys go back
to August 8th there is a link to
your website..that has Ken's long
and wonderful comment about your time in Kentucky in GERMAN!..
did you see this?
What a hoot!
How's it going..found shelter for
the night?.and more importantly
a wireless connection.
Love, Aunt Y.

Anonymous said...

Djina, I looked for this German translation and to save you some searching time, this is where it is.

Go to the [comment link]area at the end of Ken's story that you posted. It shows up in the[link}, but not the [comment].

LJ - Bee Reader

Anonymous said...

A "single"? You mean like ONE beer? I'm confused here. Can you explain what you mean? Why would anyone buy ONE beer? I don't understand.

Oh! You mean 40 oz! Like Schlitz Malt Likkar, King Cobra, Night Train. Ok, now I see. 'Sorry for the confusion.

- Ken

Anonymous said...

Solomon,
I've missed you! When you get back I want to have a sleepover and do plane wreck (it's a fun model airplane game). I can't
wait to hear more about your trip.


Will

Anonymous said...

Hey, Yonah...
Missed ya.
So, when are you getting back?
Cross country's starting...
Come back!!!!!!!!! *growls*