Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tuesday August 7th Rosedale->Damascus

I can hardly believe my luck. I was kicked out of the library at closing time so I rounded up the boys and we all headed out to this restaurant for dinner. Much to my happy surprise it has a computer for customers to use. So while Matt and the boys linger over their 3rd order of french fries, I'm going to finish blogging.
Today was such a beautiful ride that if it was the only great day of the whole trip, it would be Deyanu! It was just perfect. Steep hills for sure, but great downhills, no traffic, cool weather and mist in the morning, warmer and humid in the afternoon...lush and shady most of the time, smooth roads, and the smells...the smells were just magic. It was a mix of sandalwood, honeysuckle, damp moss, decaying forest floor, this viney plant that just takes over everything but smells really good, and some other unidentifiable smells from all the trees and vines. We rode for about 2 hrs. and then stopped for 2nd breakfast. I have discovered a great breakfast that you can get anywhere and doesn't make me feel sick: scrambled eggs, dry toast, and a biscuit...today they had watermelon as a special treat. We had conversations with a large, bearded trucker guy who was missing most of his front teeth, a retired Appalachian guy who gave us all kinds of info on LBJ that we didn't know, and a guy that grew up in the area, moved to LA for college and then moved back and runs the mental health services in the area.
Then we rode on to Damascus. I had the guy at the bike shop look at my cyclometer but he said it had crashed and unfortunately he sold his last one. So...I'm riding bare until the next bike shop...Damn.
Then we rode to Tennessee and went swimming in this beautiful swimming hole with some locals who were very friendly. Then we rode back to Virginia and got ice cream and spent an hour in the library. Matt went grocery shopping, I did laundry, we went out to eat...and now we go to The Place, which is this great hostel for cyclists doing the TransAm route and hikers doing the Appalachian Trail. Matt was beside himself with joy upon seeing the place. I'm sure it reminds him of hostels he stayed at in Israel and Europe..and makes him feel young again.
Yikes, they're leaving without me.
Love,
Djina

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The vine is kudzu.

- Ken.

Anonymous said...

Kudzu is covering all of the south..looking out at it you think it is blanketing everything..fences trees, bushes..
sheds, lampposts, you think if you stand still too long it will..yes...cover you.
glad at least it has a nice smell.

I can't believe that you are less than 400 miles from your target..That's something. Yvette

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoyed Ken's yarn. Especially where Yonah and Matt are speaking Latin. Have you read Teddy Roosevelt's bio? That's just what he was like.

And Djina, I feel your pain, girl, on that school pickup deal. When Daniel was at Rivendell it would take me two hours to get him across the field to our house, and it hasn't changed. Do you think he's old enough to where I can just tell him to stay at school and play till he's ready to ride home whenever he feels like, and I'll be home with a snack when he gets there? Cause I am sure old enough for that.

So. Now I know why you switched schools.

L
R

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful that you are having good rides and meeting nice folks again. Swimming holes yet! How good can it get?

I had no idea those run down, dirty hotels from the 40's-50's and such polluted rivers with tires (and who knows what else) were still around. That is amazing!

If you get board with scrambled eggs, try adding garlic pepper or onions or tomatoes or catsup or any combination of these.

I am glad you got to ride in the rain without the thunder and lightning. There is an enjoyment to it that can not be explained unless you have experienced it.

Has Sprite decided to be a Vet so he can save all the animals?

LJ - Bee Reader

gteamhj said...

You all are just amazing. Have loved these last posts, including Ken's. What a story, guys. My treat if I get my work done is to check ride2cooltheplanet. Beautiful August day in Davis. We've had the coolest early August since weather stats were taken in 1877 or something--breezy, sunny and about mid-80s. It was actually overcast a few days ago. Feels good, but I also love the summer heat. My 1.5 mi. bike ride to work seems like so nothing compared to your days, but it makes me think of you. I got a new Blue Suede Giant bike with shocks and the comfiest seat, and a "pushed-forward" fork (about 2 inches past the "V" configuration)-- feels a tiny bit like a recumbent bike. (And a bell...) Love, Lyra

Anonymous said...

Like somebody else said, reading your blogs is a good reward after a hard day's work (and very distracting during the day). So many things I want to say, but i should be getting to sleep. I will say this however, Ken should have been with you the whole trip! His blog was very funny (and so is your comment on it Djina).

Looking forward to the next blog (by the way, did you see the note to Yonah from Jeff Bryant?).
Looking forward to many many conversations with you guys about all the things you did not have time to write about here.
Love
Juana

Matt Biers-Ariel said...

Yes...Kudzu...and it smells to great...like magnolia or something. And no, that isn't why we switched but that is a nice perk. It is hot as a crotch out here in the East...like 100 degrees today and humid like a steam bath.
Yes...Ken is very, very funny and he should have been with us the whole time, Matt is much less grouchy, and I'm better fed when he is around.
Lira, thinking of you riding your bike to work makes me miss my runs. I haven't run in 10 weeks...I miss it.

Anonymous said...

Djina, There is a heat wave on the east coast and I think you are in the heart of it.

LJ - Bee Reader